Support for Vulnerable Individuals

The university is aware that some members of our community face a greater risk from COVID-19 than others and encourages faculty, staff, and students who have concerns about their individual circumstances to consider consulting with the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) or Human Resources (HR) about the process for seeking an accommodation or adjustment as warranted.


Some people may be at higher risk of experiencing negative COVID-19 outcomes due to their individual circumstances. Faculty, staff, students, and other trainees who fall within the CDC’s definition of a “vulnerable person” for COVID-19 (as outlined below) may request reasonable accommodations to their work or learning environment.

Information for faculty, staff, and postdoctoral fellows on the accommodations process may be found on the OIE website or, or by phone (410-516-8075) or email ( or Students should contact the Student Disability Services Coordinator at their respective school to begin the process.

In addition, as always, anyone with a documented disability or who needs a religious accommodation or a pregnancy or nursing parent adjustment may pursue accommodations as well.

Current CDC guidance for elevated risk from COVID-19 describes a “vulnerable person” as follows:

  • People 65 years and older;
  • People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including those:
    • with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
    • who have serious heart conditions
    • who are immunocompromised (including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow, or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications)
    • with severe obesity (body mass index of 40 or higher)
    • with diabetes
    • with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
    • with liver disease.

Note that these categories may change based on evolving circumstances around the virus as well as public health and regulatory guidance.


Individuals who do not fall within the CDC’s COVID-19 guidelines for a “vulnerable person” but have other concerns about returning to campus due to their individual circumstances (such as household members who may be at higher risk) should contact their departmental or divisional human resources manager to discuss their concerns and whether adjustments to their work environment may be made to address them.

You may also contact Central HR at Students with similar concerns should contact their student affairs office or equivalent at their school.


Help us protect each other

Illustration of person wearing a face mask

Cover your face

Always wear a mask on campus

Illustration of person washing hands

Wash your hands

Wash or sanitize hands often and don't touch your face

Illustration of two people six feet apart

Distance yourself

Keep six feet between you and others

Illustration of a digital thermometer

If you have symptoms

Self-isolate and call 833-546-7546 right away