Support for JHU Affiliates

Information for students

There are a wide array of free well-being and mental health resources available 24/7 for students. A complete list can be found on the Health and Well-Being website.

They include:

For students at Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, Whiting School of Engineering, and Peabody Institute:

For students at the School of Education, SAIS, Carey Business School, School of Nursing, School of Medicine, Bloomberg School of Public Health, and in the AAP or EEP programs:

For students at School of Nursing, School of Medicine, and Bloomberg School of Public Health

Information for employees

Johns Hopkins Employee Assistance Program

Through the Johns Hopkins Employee Assistance Program (JHEAP), JHU employees and their household family members have free 24/7 access to confidential counseling and referral services for help with stress at work or at home, emotional distress, a difficult life transition, or other challenges. The program offers other referrals and daily life assistance as well.

When an individual calls JHEAP, a clinician will listen, provide support, and help identify resources and next steps. If they choose to arrange a video or in-person appointment, JHEAP will provide referrals to licensed clinicians in their area. The first six in-person counseling sessions are free and will not require use of insurance. To access this support 24/7, individuals should contact JHEAP at 888-978-1262. For online access, visit and use the company code JHEAP.

Child Care and Caregiving

The university provides resources and services to assist Johns Hopkins affiliates with finding and paying for child care.

Finding Child Care

The JHU Family Support Services team maintains a list of up-to-date child care resources. Employees can reach them through the Benefits Service Center at 410-516-2000 or by email at

All university employees, full-time doctoral students, full-time post-docs, residents, interns, and medical students have free premium memberships, which allow individuals to perform self-directed searches for a variety of caregiving needs. In addition to allowing employees to post jobs and perform detailed searches for providers, the service now includes expert assistance by Care@Work, which provides one-on-one support for a care search. In addition, a keyword search for “Hopkins” on the Care@Work platform can be used to narrow search to caregivers specifically interested in working with the university community. Individuals who are interested must register through JHU’s portal or call 855-781-1303. In addition, individuals can use the digital portal to post a position for an in-home provider on their own.

Johns Hopkins partners with three high-quality Baltimore-area child care centers that give admission and wait list priority to JHU employees. In addition, the university maintains relationships with other quality centers that offer wait list priority to employees. For more information, please see the Child Care Center Partners webpage.

Johns Hopkins provides subsidized backup care through Care@Work, up to 10 days per year, to support child care or elder care when regular arrangements are unavailable. These services can be accessed by all university employees, full-time doctoral students, full-time post-docs, residents, interns, and medical students. They can come through care centers or individuals, and we are working to provide more flexibility in the network of providers. We have also provided all JH affiliates (including students) with access to Komae, an innovative co-op-style parent network platform on which Hopkins families can find each other to pool resources for caregiving. The platform allows you to join with trusted friends and family in a “Sitter Village” and schedule care.

Maryland Family Network also offers personalized child care resources and referrals for families seeking center-based child care in Maryland through their LOCATE service. All students are eligible for these resources.

Employees are encouraged to visit the Johns Hopkins University Human Resources Finding Child Care website for a current expanded list of child care resources and services available.

Employees who are required to return to work on-site and cannot find child care should refer to the Sick and Safe Leave policy and JHU’s general sick leave policy. Also, FMLA entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave in a 12-month period for specified family and medical reasons. For specific questions regarding leave, contact HR Business Services at 443-997-2157 or

Paying for Child Care

Johns Hopkins University offers two primary ways to help employees reduce the cost of child care:

  • Dependent care vouchers that offer money from the university
  • Dependent care flexible spending accounts, which allow parents to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for care.

See the Johns Hopkins University Child Care website for additional details.

Employees may qualify for Johns Hopkins–sponsored childcare vouchers of up to $5,000 per year, with eligibility and maximum benefits determined by the family’s adjusted gross income. The vouchers can be used for any legal childcare, either in a home or childcare center.